Mar 26, 2019

Paint Colors

I originally published a paint colors post all the way back in 2010... just shy of 9 years ago. It had our basic house palette - colors I was madly in love with and honestly colors I still love to this day. I recently updated the post with a new swatch image and realized I should actually share an updated post about paint.

All of these colors are Benjamin Moore. I'm a big fan. The paint is 9 years old in our house and it's been scrubbed, beaten and attacked by our kids and dogs. I've scrubbed it more times with those magic erasers to remove marker and pen than I can count. And the paint has held up beautifully.

 Here's our current house palette:


Living room: Rockport Gray (with Firefly Yellow in the wallpaper)
Stairwell: Edgecomb Gray
Dining room: Salisbury Green
Kitchen: Edgecomb Gray + White Dove cabinets
Half bath: Firefly Yellow (with the same wallpaper as the living room)
Playroom: Palladian Blue
Upstairs Hall: Edgecomb Gray
Main Bath: Guilford Green
Master Bedroom: Palladian Blue
Oliver's Room: Weston Flax and Hale Navy
Matt's Room: Hollingsworth Green

I think one of the reasons we're still happy with the palette is that it's colorful but still fairly neutral. And we've worked it into the house holistically. All of the colors look nice together and they flow from one room to the next. Paint colors are repeated in different rooms. And we try to incorporate elements of each color into the decor of other rooms - such as our navy blue couch in the living room that is similar to the Hale Navy. Our bedroom bedspread is Weston Flax. Our living room rug has splashes of Palladian Blue and Firefly Yellow in it. The furniture is a combination of dark wood and white throughout the whole house to also continue the flow. Even the accessories we display coordinate with the color palette (some match, some blend, some compliment or coordinate).

Basically the paint palette is part of the decision making process for all of our major purchases. And it goes a long way to making the house feel cohesive. It's not perfect, we're still working through mistakes, and there are definitely times when I want to repaint a room (specifically the dining room, I am itching to repaint that room for some reason), but overall I'm still really happy with how things look and feel. Our house will never be picture perfect, design professionals would have a field day with all of my mistakes and many decisions... but at the same time it's uniquely us, uniquely our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment