Mar 20, 2023

Full House


I finished potting up the dahlias - just in time for spring. It's a full house in the greenhouse, I have dahlia starter pots squeezed into every nook and cranny. The shelves are full, the crates are being used as a second set of shelves. Even with the mass die-off of dahlias last summer, I think I have just as many as last year... just fewer varieties. 



Apricot desire died off completely last summer. Waltzing Matilda looked dead when I opened the bag (I still pre-started it, my purple Bishop's Children dahlia also looks totally dead every year and comes back, so you don't know until you try). Last year a few bulbs that looked perfectly healthy never sprouted when they were potted. 


I used every single saved plastic pot I had stored, plus 2 I had to borrow. I went through 2 of the big bags of potting mix. I crammed multiple bulbs into the same pot to get everything in dirt. 



It feels so good to be done! First day of Spring and exactly 6 weeks until May 1st... I'm ready! (Next up: ordering mulch and starting to mulch.)



No comments:

Post a Comment