May 31, 2023

May Garden

At the end of May, the rose archway was this INCREDIBLE show. I couldn't bear to trim it until it finished blooming. Last year the whole thing died back from black spot and I wasn't sure if it would survive another year... I think it did?




We planted the garden in early May. This year has been so busy that it was done one part at a time as I could squeeze little pockets of time in. Seedlings first, then seeds, then dahlia bulbs. I pre-started a lot of flowers this year in the greenhouse to cut down on what I needed to buy from the local nurseries - prices have gone through the roof (like $6-7 for a single tiny thing or at best a 3-pack). I did buy hot peppers (jalapeño and cayenne), basil and some flowers for my flower pots on the porch and patio. I started marigolds, snapdragons (rocket hybrid tall, deluxe tall, a few medium and small pot ones), cosmos (apricotta and pink lemonade), small heirloom dahlias, globe amaranth, sage, chamomile, purple sunflowers and coleus from seed. 

Not all of my seeds were successful. Only two sunflowers sprouted and one of them died. I used way too many self-harvested mini snapdragon seeds (I didn't fully trust it would work!) and the seed starting containers were overly full. I couldn't seem to manage moisture levels of the coleus sprouts - they were either too wet or too dry. We also had some white flies hatch which was really frustrating because I spent so much time cleaning everything that was brought in here last fall. I tried sticky traps in the seedling containers which did seem to help. We'll see what summer brings. 




Tomato bed


There are eight tomatoes in here - 2 cherry tomatoes (sweet millions), 2 roma paste, 1 Tappy heritage, 1 early girl, 2 bushsteak hybrid. I only planted what will be eaten or easily sauced this year. They looked a little spindly when I first planted them, but they always do from living under a grow light. I didn't do the best job hardening them off this year, but it was enough that everything survived. In the four corners I planted marigolds (from seedlings I started in the greenhouse). The corners work well because they have enough room to grow and get light, while still deterring aphids and other pests. 

At each far end I planted a couple borage seeds, but I also noticed I had a lot of little borage sprouts in the pathways next to where the borage was last year! Borage does not like to be transplanted (which is why direct sow is better) but these were going to be pulled up anyways - why not at least attempt to save the biggest ones? It was touch and go for a week, but they took. And the seeds took. And now I probably have too many borage plants crammed together but they really helped with tomato production in years past. 


Vines and Things


This bed always looks so empty since it's always direct sow seeds. There are cucumber seeds at the base of my cucumber trellis. Malabar spinach seeds were planted next to the archway to grow up - these are a slow starter and take a long time to get toing. I planted peas on the other side of the archway but they went in late (peas need an April start) so I know the season will be short this year. 

There are melons on the opposite side of the bed on a tower trellis. In between there's one nasturtium (I only planted one this year instead of 2-3! I'm learning!), 2 rows of bright lights swiss chard and 2 rows of carrots. I still had space on the sides of the melon but ran out of carrot seeds! I'll have to order more next year. I was tempted to foolishly planting more nasturtium like in years past, but instead I planted 2 medium snapdragons that are too short for the cutting beds and were destined for a pot. 


Flower Cutting Bed



Last year I found the perfect ratio of flowers for this bed. Half of the bed is full of snapdragons with one globe amaranth in the corner (last year I tucked the globe amaranth in with the cosmos and it was quickly overshadowed). I went with rocket hybrid snapdragons and deluxe tall snapdragons. I'm excited to see what colors come in! There are two cosmos in the middle of the bed - one pink lemonade and one apricotta (which is already blooming! Look at those colors!). The rest of the bed is 3 rows rows of zinnias. I did one row of mixed carnival zinnias and two rows of salmon zinnias (one is a salmon cactus variety, one is a regular salmon zinnia). I did these last year and they were gorgeous in bouquets.

There's also the previously mentioned peas tucked away here climbing up the archway. I know I planted them too late. 


Dahlia Bed


I planted 8 pre-started dahlias here from the green house, choosing my biggest and healthiest of my favorite varieties (aka the survivors of last year's tragic spider mite infestation). Laybrinth, Belle of Barmera, Felida Solar Flare, Cornell Bronze, Wynn's Moonlight Sonata, American Dawn, Daisy Duke and Fairway Spur. Dahlias elsewhere in the yard are starting to bloom - totally tangerine, red bishop's children and Thomas Edison. They are earlier bloomers. I am happy to say that I had more dahlias come back than expected (though many did not come back after last year's mite damage), but I was even able to share a few and I filled in all of my designated dahlia areas. 


Herbs and Strawberries




The strawberries are blooming and there are a lot of green berries. I'm hoping the fencing will keep the chipmunks out, but they are too smart for their own good so we'll see. The population seems to have bounced back this year. We had two berries at the end of May! 

For herbs there's lavender (overwintered outside), calendula (from direct-sow seed and self-sown), basil (purchased), chamomile (seed started in greenhouse), a big rosemary plant (overwintered in the greenhouse), sage (seed started in the greenhouse and an overwintered one), dill (seed started in the greenhouse), oregano (overwintered outside), thyme (overwintered outside), borage (self-sown), and a purple sunflower (started in the greenhouse). The sage I overwintered is blooming with purple flowers and they are pretty!


Pots




I didn't take a picture of the garden pots! Whoops. Enjoy the pots from my front porch steps instead. 

However I did plant stuff! This year the pots are a mix of herbs, peppers and flowers. For flowers, I have a pot of overwintered medium snapdragons (transplanted from overwintering in the greenhouse), new snapdragons from seed, morning glory vine for the trellis (I was going to do a new vine but it didn't germinate in the greenhouse), and a potted dalinova. I bought 2 pepper plants from the nursery (I can't grow these from seed and I have no idea why) - a jalapeño and a cayenne. I also have a random a patio tomato gifted by a neighbor.  For herbs there's basil, rosemary and lemon balm. The lemon balm that I overwintered in a pot didn't come back, but I had a million little sprouts in the pathways near where it lived last year... so I transplanted a bunch. Hopefully they survive (I think they will, they are very hardy). 

On my patio I have mint and peppermint in two pots, they come back every year after overwintering outside. The mint actually was struggling a bit so I transplanted a handful from where it grows in the yard (it's with the raspberries and they battle for space, but they seem to keep each other in check and Mike hits the rest with the lawn mower). 

I still need to bring the potted brown turkey fig tree out of the greenhouse but it's really heavy. 


Elsewhere in the Yard











The lavender by the patio/deck is blooming (it has one big bloom a year) and I harvested two big bouquets and a smaller one. They are hanging from a mirror in my dining room drying out. 

Elderberry bushes are much taller this year. I'm hoping both bushes will bloom this year so that we might get berries... but we'll see. If not this year, next year. The fig tree is back and growing little leaves and lots of sprouts (they always want to become bushes). I'm trying to transplant the babies into small containers for transplanting. 

And I just need to share the gorgeous flowers happening right now. The roses are incredible - not just the archway but also Lady of Shalot and Bascobel. The honey suckle vine is blooming, peonies and astilbe and early geraniums and dahlias. Overwintered snapdragons. The clematis. It feels so good to be in that late spring/early summer part of the year. So much potential, possibilities, so much green and color coming out.  





No comments:

Post a Comment