Oct 5, 2022

Living Room: Painted!


I painted the living room (and dining room and upstairs hall) almost 6 months ago and never had the time to photograph it. Spring was too busy, the kids were home making messes all summer... finally I had a chance when everyone was back to school this fall. 

The living room is a soft silver gray (literally the name) that matches the silver in the wall paper perfectly. In the morning it's gray. In the afternoon it looks a little blue. In the evening it has a lavender tint. Most importantly a lot lighter that the warm dark gray we had in here before. It's just what I needed -  it feels fresh and clean and a welcome change. 

I painted the living room back in the spring because I had a milestone birthday last May. I have been coping with this big change with a lot of celebrating, some new opportunities, and by repainting the downstairs. New decade, new paint colors, a fresh living space.

I got this painting project done during an insanely busy spring by painting a little bit each day. This room is mostly windows and doorways, so the bulk of the work is brushwork anyways so I never bothered with a roller. Just two coats with an angled brush, a little bit each day until it was done. 

This method meant that we never had that "big reveal" moment at the end of a long day of painting where you go "WOW IT LOOKS SO GOOD!"... but this practical process worked really well for me. It was so much easier to fit a round of painting in while listening in on a conference call or while the kids were getting ready for bed than it was to schedule in a half day just to paint. Yes it was slow progress, but it was PROGRESS, and in a time where I was constantly busy with work, busy outside, busy taking the boys to a million sport things (it was baseball season!)... sometimes bit by bit is the only way to do it. 








Next up in my fresh paint photo tour is the dining room, which was painted woodland white (aka the lightest sage green). I also hit up the stairwell and the upstairs hall in shades of silver gray. Everything feels lighter and brighter with the change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment