Mar 8, 2012

Garden Seeds Planted

Over the weekend I started seeds for the garden. Direct sowing so many seeds in the raised beds last year was so successful, I only felt the need to start the things that require a good head start - tomatoes, peppers, and 4 cucumbers.

Of course, despite my best efforts to trim numbers down, I still probably have too many tomatoes. Yellow Pear, Sweet 100s, Paste, Arkansas Traveler, Burbank, Green Zebra, Purple Cherokee, Brandywine, Pink Ponderosa, Bloody Butcher, Zapotec, Big Boy and Super beefsteak. To make more room for the tomatoes, we’re moving the peppers to pots this year. I’ve planted seeds for 2 sweet bell peppers, 2 poblano peppers, a cayenne pepper, and we’re going to purchase a jalapeno from the nursery because I’ve had repeated bad luck growing them from seed.

Outside in the garden, I went ahead and planted spinach seeds as well in two rows. Spinach likes cold soil and cold temperatures. This is my first spring directly sowing spinach seeds in raised beds (since we didn’t build the garden until April of last year), so hopefully it works - last Fall the soil was too warm and the spinach didn’t take.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how such beautiful produce starts as a small seed in a pile of dirt & water!?!?! I can't wait to see the garden this year!

    ReplyDelete