Oct 29, 2014

Basement Bookshelf & More Boxes

The bookshelves in the back of our living room

We inherited a third bookshelf that matches the ones in our living room. We don’t have room for it upstairs, but I didn’t want to get rid of it since it works as a set (and maybe someday we’ll have the wallspace?). I also hate turning down storage furniture. Luckily there was a perfect spot for it in the basement against our fake wall/room divider, and we could definitely use more storage. (Sorry for the bad lighting!)

The other thing that came home with me (in addition to the bookshelf) was another pile of boxes and tubs and bags of stuff. I knew I had a couple things left at my dad’s, but I didn’t realize how much (mentally I thought it was a couple of books and a small tub of memories). I got rid of more than half of it and not all of these tubs are full, but that’s still a lot of “precious memories” to save.

At least the bookshelf created space for some of my mother’s old books - craft books, drawing books, a few cookbooks, a little fiction and the Harry Potter series. But there’s still a ton of new stuff I have to organize all over again (and maybe edit down with a less sentimental eye). I thought I was done a couple weeks ago and got everything organizes and cleared out… but nope. This time should be the last of it though. I think....

Oct 28, 2014

Overwintering Trees

I realized the other day that our avocado trees are over 10 years old. They’ve followed me through 4 moves and multiple bouts of neglect. And yet they are still alive. Every winter I have to bring their pots inside; they fit well and seem happy in a small corner of Oliver’s playroom. At this point I have overwintering trees down to a science.

For most of October as the days get cooler, they actually live outside on the deck with the citrus trees and only come in on the coldest nights, then I put them back outside. It’s kind of a pain to keep moving things, but the trees do better - it’s a long winter and the more real sunlight they get, the healthier they are. Towards the end of the month I finally bring them in to stay, and that’s when I relocate them to the playroom.

First thing to do before the big move indoors is to skip watering for a few days so that they dry out. This makes the pots lighter for carrying and I don’t have to worry about water spilling out of the bottom and making a mess. Next I put down 2 dog pads, one for each tree. These things are amazing for protecting wood floors and carpeting - one side is plastic so nothing will soak through and the top side is super absorbent. You can find small packs of them at target and most grocery stores,and they are really inexpensive.

Once the trees are in I give them some water about once a week. They don’t need as much indoors in the winter. The change in season and light will cause some leaves to drop, but I like this spot because it's out of the way and the trees still get as much light as possible in such a bright room.

Oct 27, 2014

Things That Made Me Happy In September

Well this is only 28 days late, I completely forgot to do my "things that made me happy..." post at the end of September. I blame vacation. I'm going to move this post to the end of September in a couple of days.

In January I embarked on a personal project to take pictures of the little things that make me happy. The past few years I forgot to document the little things in our life, the details that are lovely to look back on. So for the year I'm taking pictures of the good little things and sharing them here. 

See: January February | March | April | May |  June | July | August

These are the things that made me happy in September:

The (very rare) pretty sunset from our backyard:

Summer Produce from the garden & the start of mum season:

And just about EVERYTHING in Cape Cod (sorry some of these pictures are repeats from my recaps):

Oct 24, 2014

Who Me?

"Who me? I would never rip up Ollie's stuffed rabbit. Never."

With a face that cute, I almost believe her. Almost.

Oct 23, 2014

Giant Boat Print

I rescued this from my Dad's house when he was cleaning things out. It's a huge canvas print of boats from Crate and Barrel. I've always really liked it. Of course it makes no sense for us to keep it - it's huge and we have a house with almost no wall space. I hung it up in the office temporarily (where the map usually sits) and it takes up the whole wall.

I'm not sure what the plan is long term for the boats, but for now it reminds me of summer.

Oct 22, 2014

"New" Old Picture for the Gallery Wall

"Taking it easy" and resting my ankle... means sorting through some old artwork and deciding what to keep. I am sort of partial to this one - it's rather old but it has great texture and I like the movement. I think it would look rather nice on the gallery wall up the stairwell - I just have to get a frame...