Sep 25, 2013

Inspired By: Cape Cod Details

There were so many design-inspiring details on Cape Cod. And while I love all-things nautical (anchors! whales! sailboats!), it wouldn’t quite make as much sense in a suburban NJ home. However, there were many details that would work just about anywhere that I absolutely loved. I thought I'd share a few today.

To start, a few details can make even gross old sheds look charming and rustic. Decent hardware, a trellis and a big old climbing vine really help disguise it.



Driftwood makes a very charming handle. This was the outdoor shower, but I think it would totally work on an old shed or something similar and make it look like something straight out of Terrain or Anthropologie.


We NEED something exactly like this bin to disguise our trash cans.


The house was surrounded by stylish, matching light fixtures. I love the look of these lantern sconces.


It's been a dream of mine to do window boxes on our living room windows. We'll probably get to it when we do the shutters (something I've wanted to do since we bought this house). In the meantime, I love how sculptural and interesting these window boxes are. I love the trailing flowers and the spiky leaves and the mix of reds, whites and pinks.


And while we're on the topic of sculptural plants, I love the shape of this evergreen. I need to find out what it is. The green was even brighter in person.


This is probably my most favorite shade of red. A little bit orange and so bright it practically glows.


These mostly fall under the nautical category, but I find them extremely charming. In the modern age where we can check the weather on our mobile phones from almost anywhere, I find a barometer and wind speed gauge to be very nostalgic. In the suburbs they could be for science?



I'm on a vintage flora and fauna print kick lately. I love these two fungi prints.



Another great print idea for a home is an aerial photograph of the local area from above. I'm sure the suburbs of NJ aren't quite so photogenic, but I'm sure out in the country it would be gorgeous.



No comments:

Post a Comment