Jan 7, 2019

Happy New Year!

I can't believe we are a week into 2019 already.


I didn't meant to stay away from this space for so long, it just sort of happened that way. The holiday season was so busy for us. Lots of baking, entertaining, celebrating, visiting, quality time with family and friends... and also ear infections, not enough naps, staying up too late, mountains of laundry accumulated and exhaustion. We had so much fun - but I also could use another 2 weeks off now just to catch up on real life stuff that's piled up.

My biggest accomplishment so far for January? Getting all the Christmas decor away. Now I'm slowly tackling the to-do list of things like reorganizing the playroom to fit in the new toys we've accumulated. My little office cubby in the dining room is out of control and needs a full reorganization. And there's the real life stuff like tax prep, preschool applications and interviews, medical stuff scheduling, tackling the laundry piles.

January (and February) always makes me want to hibernate. I'd happily stay inside where it's warm, under a blanket with a good book and a cup of turmeric spice tea. However, winter is the ideal time to work on some indoor projects. Especially the basement. I refuse to be trapped in the basement reorganizing it when it's nice outside, which is probably why the space hasn't been dealt with in 3 years. The past two winters we were sick more than we were healthy (as a whole), leaving a bad situation to get worse and worse.


Our focus this Winter while we're trapped indoors:

Living room
Basement
Kitchen

What this entails:

Living room
We have a new couch. OMG. It's awesome. Even the kids are in love with all of us being able to sit together as a family. I can't wait to share pictures but I need to tweak the room a bit first. It's much bigger than anything we've ever had, in a very awkwardly sized room, which means we now have to figure out how to make the new layout work better with some minor changes. Our TV stand is too deep for the space now (and the kids trashed it). The storage ottoman coffee table is also too big now (and the puppy chewed the corners and legs). We really need some new pillow covers too (kids are brutal). And I have to figure out how to configure the space behind the couch - the console table fits perfectly but I have to edit down the rest.

Basement 
This is a big clean out, reorganize, rethink project where I really need to focus on how we've used the space over the past 3 years (aka a dumping ground) and what I can do about it to make it more usable and easier to keep together. We thought we would use the space a certain way, but then didn't. And then the boxes started piling up... until it became to massive to tackle in a weekend. So I need to tackle this huge space, bit by bit as I can squeeze it in. I actually started at Thanksgiving and chipped away more over our holiday break, but I have a looooong way to go.

Kitchen
There are holes in our kitchen ceiling and that have been since March. MARCH. It's a long story but basically when we lost power for 5 days from that crazy snowstorm, the bathroom pipes also leaked into our kitchen ceiling and messed up the wiring (and the ceiling). The electrical was more than Mike wanted to tackle, so we had a pro come in and rewire the main light, swap out the water-logged fixture with a pendant and added a second pendant over the kitchen sink. Totally awesome to have task lighting. However we did find that the rest of the kitchen was dark without the ambient ceiling light, so we made a plan to utilize some of the holes to add in a couple of shallow LED pot lights in the ceiling. But then the weather warmed up and we got busy and spent most of our free time outside... so now this is Mike's priority this winter while I focus on the basement.



No comments:

Post a Comment