Oct 30, 2023

October Garden

October had a few surprises for me in the garden. Like more raspberries (WHAT?!). And the biggest dahlias bloom I've ever grown at over 10" wide. It's a Wynn's Moonlight Sonata in a peachy orange color.

I also had the biggest Belle of Barmera I've ever grown too - it was about 9" or so and the most beautiful shades of pink! 

There were figs from the fig tree until frost. 

The raspberries. We had multiple rounds of October raspberries. It was the strangest (and most wonderful!) thing. 

The morning glory bloomed on the trellis with pretty purple flowers. 




This was the garden at mid October: 



I cleaned out the green house, organized the piles of pots and tools. 



Towards the end of the month I began loading up the greenhouse with plants. The first ones in were the ones that prefer warmer weather. Then I started transferring herbs like rosemary and sage from the garden beds back to pots. I saved a lot less than last year. I decided I wanted more room for seeds, bulbs and that sort of thing in February than overwintering more plants. 

The garden is waning... but it's not over yet. A big hard freeze is coming soon (it's in the forecast for November 1st), but until my dahlias are nipped I'm going to enjoy more of this: 




No comments:

Post a Comment