Jul 12, 2010

We See the Light


We had a busy weekend with lots of help - hedge trimming tutorials and bathroom wall spackling with my Dad, master bedroom painting with Shannon, and a full electrical wiring installation. Our friend Mike, with enviable electrical knowledge and experience, helped Mike make a big change outside - they installed a motion-sensor lantern light next to the side door! Isn't it great?! No more pulling out my iphone to use as a flashlight while I attempt to unlock the door in complete blackness! No more backing the car out of the driveway at night and not being able to see anything! No more taking out Georgia one last time before bed and feeling as if I've gone blind! We have light! A light that turns on by itself when you walk by it. And it looks good while doing it!

Mike and Mike also installed a 3rd electrical outdoor outlet under the light, which I'm sure will be very convenient in the future. Especially for my future Christmas lights. Inside they repaired and upgraded the GFI outlet in our basement stairwell (GFIs are the kind that have the test-reset buttons for safety). When the electricians upgraded our circuits in the house, they told us that the GFI outlets in the kitchen were done improperly and were not actually real GFIs at all. So we weren't surprised to discover that the only other original GFI outlet in the house (that was there when we moved in) was also done improperly and under-powered. While it's Greek to me, Mike was very excited to upgrade it to 20 amps. Hopefully that means more power for my Christmas lights.

Mike had even more excitement this weekend - we have a new weed wacker from my extremely generous parents! It was on our very long list of things we need for the house, a list that keeps growing by the day. And I have to say, our weed situation was getting pretty embarrassing along our fence, around the bushes and next to the mailbox. In the few short weeks we've lived here we've already become those neighbors - the ones who mow the lawn but totally neglect all trim work. It was at the point where I was ready to go outside with a pair of scissors (okay fine - send Mike out with a pair of scissors). But no more! Now our yard looks lovely and tidy, thanks to my Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment