Mar 31, 2011

Oh FIGS!


Seed catalogs are dangerous places for garden lovers.  They tempt us with glorious descriptions, beautiful pictures and dreams of a bounty of produce grown in our own backyard.  I am not strong willed, as demonstrated by this brown turkey fig tree. 

See, I love figs.  Yet even on those rare occasions when there actually are figs in the supermarket, they usually make winter blueberries seem economical.  And according to this seed catalog all I needed was $15, 3 years of patience, and an overwintering plan for my little fig tree.  My neighbor has a fig tree in their yard and they wrap it up with insulation and a plastic bag in the winter.  It's not pretty, but their tree is happy.  Another option, which we have chosen here, is to plant it in a pot and bring it indoors in the winter. Our fig tree arrived on Tuesday and now lives in the sun room.

In my defense, I ordered this back in January during a severe bout of cabin fever.  And I was craving figs.  It might not look like much now, but check back in 3 years and we'll see who's laughing... and eating figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment