Apr 5, 2011

Our Painted Office


Mike was away most of the weekend, so I was left to my own devices when working on the office (though he did clear out the entire room by himself before he left).  Even though I knew he was going to be cutting holes in the walls for more outlets (an office needs outlets! lots and lots of outlets!), I decided to paint anyways knowing there would be some touch-up work later.

I braved the rickety ladder all by myself (for those of you that know about my crippling fear of heights, you know this is a big deal for me), patching the cracks in the high parts of the walls.  Once everything was dry and sanded smooth, I brought out the yellow paint, Benjamin Moore's Weston Flax HC-5.  It's a lovely sunny color, more of a pale gold than yellow.   It has a soft buttery appearance with a lot of straw undertones - a much richer yellow than the slightly sickly lemon ice color of our exterior siding.


As crazy as it sounds, I actually like cutting in around the edges - I find it relaxing.  Except for the parts where I was up on the ladder.  That was more terrifying than calming.


Rolling took two full coats and then I had to touch up the few thin spots with a brush once it dried.  The pink underneath had so much gray in it that the Weston Flax appeared a little streaky.


It's funny, in the bright afternoon light I was concerned that maybe the color was too light.   My goal was soft liquid sunshine on the walls, something cheerful and energizing for a creative space.  However, once it got dark and I turned on the light - it became a bright true gold.   I'm really glad we didn't go any darker, otherwise it might have been too much.


This was the LAST SPACE in the house that was pink!  The mauve mist paint has officially been eradicated from the premises, and we are celebrating its demise.  Hooray!


1 comment:

  1. Love the color! Can't wait to see it all done!

    ReplyDelete