May 29, 2012

The Finished Nursery

I’ve really been looking forward to today, finally sharing the finished nursery! This room has truly been a labor of love for both Mike and I. Mike put a lot of time and effort into so many big projects - refinishing two pieces of furniture, building pocket shelves and the giant bookcase, putting up crown molding, etc. I’ve never put so much energy into the details of a room - choosing the wallpaper, fabrics, prints and accessories. I think it’s really come together nicely.





There’s a lot going on in the bookshelves. We used branches and accessories from around our house to fill in the woodland theme - candles, vases, and leftover frames we filled with wallpaper scraps. Toys and books work double-duty for entertainment and decorations. As time goes on I know that the bookshelves will contain less and less decor and more and more books and toys, but I really love the way it looks now.






It’s been a lot of fun and we’re so proud of the results. I can’t wait to bring our baby boy home to his new room!

5 comments:

  1. It is so adorable. Baby boy is going to love his newly done room! The bunny in the crib is so sweet. GW

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. Love the pops of orange. You two did a great job. You also have a great eye for taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute nursery. The only thing, and I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but after 6 kids and hearing toooooooooo many horror stories, I never could hang anything unless it was soft, over my babies' beds. If something were to fall... You could always pull the crib away from the wall a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And don't worry - I had the same concerns! The nursery photos are actually a little deceptive. I probably should have addressed it more in my posts, we are definitely safety conscious around here :)

      For example we're not really keeping pillows and toys in the crib with an infant. And in real life the crib is exactly as you suggested - just far enough from the wall that the picture frames would fall behind (and high enough that they will be out of reach later on). The tree branch mobile is barely over the crib. All of the branch weight is at the base against the wall - in the unlikely event that all the eyelet hooks pulled out or the heavy duty fishing lines were to snap at once, it would never make it into the crib. We also made sure to use line and hooks with a much higher weight capacity than the tree branch (which is actually very light weight). Things like the pocket shelves and the bookshelf frames are screwed into the wall so tightly I can't even pull them out. And we've most recently been anchoring tall/heavy/potentially dangerous furniture to the walls.

      I definitely agree it's better to be safe than sorry! Sometimes it's just too easy to get swept up in the design of things instead of practicality :)

      Delete
  4. I've been looking forward to this reveal so much! It looks AMAZING!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete