Jul 25, 2012

Homemade Grenadine

First being pregnant and now feeding a baby, I’m very into mocktails. Since it’s summer I’ve been looking for something that’s light and refreshing. I found a recipe on The Kitchn for homemade grenadine. It’s a lot more complex, fruity and delicious than the Rose’s high-fructose-corn-syrup-and-food-coloring grenadine from the store.


A little syrup in a glass of seltzer over ice makes a really great summer drink. Even better, real grenadine is made with pomegranate juice - chock full of antioxidants.

It was really easy to make - 2 parts unsweetened pomegranate juice (Pom) + 1 part sugar. I combined both in a saucepan and simmered over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduced and turned into a syrup. The recipe said it only takes 15 minutes, but I found it took more like 20-25. The syrup should be thick enough to sit at the bottom of a glass (like in a tequila sunrise). It comes out a really beautiful deep dark red purple color.

A glass with the grenadine unmixed, sitting at the bottom.




I made a lot and it only lasts 2 weeks in the fridge, so I’m freezing most of it in ice cube trays to defrost as needed. It felt really good to start making lovely things again. Baby steps towards getting back into the swing of things.


No comments:

Post a Comment