Mar 13, 2013

Garden: Seeds Started

I planted my seeds for the garden that need an early start. I probably could have waited another week or two, I was anxious to get started. I need some spring! I mixed a block of seed starting mix with water, put it into the little seed cups on a tray and added seeds. I put the whole tray on the radiator to act as a heating pad. Last year it worked pretty well.

I’ve planted lots of tomatoes: cherry tomato sweet 100s, yellow pear, plum/paste, arkansas traveler, burbank slicer, green zebra, purple cherokee, brandywine, pink ponderosa, bloody butcher, zapotec, big boy, and super beefsteak. Also 4 cucumbers and 2 poblano peppers - I had trouble with cucumbers last year and want to cover my bases this year (starting early and direct sow).

From the nursery I’m going to buy jalapenos, bell peppers, and herbs - all I’ve had trouble growing from seed. Everything else in the garden plan (spinach, swiss chard, peas, lettuce, zucchini, summer squash, green beans, musk melons and flowers) will be grown from seed directly in the beds.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! so exciting! and totally loving some of names here.. "Bloody Butcher" "sweet 100s"
    :)C'mon spring!!
    xo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete