Jul 21, 2014

New Master Bedroom Dresser


I am the proud new owner of a white vintage dresser for our master bedroom. My old brown dresser has been problematic for years. It was my baby dresser, so the drawers are sized for children’s clothes and it barely held like two pairs of pants. I had to keep way too many clothes in the closet, which led to a very messy and overflowing closet. Not ideal.


The “new” dresser is from my Dad’s house, he’s decluttering to make room for new beginnings and was more than happy to let me have it. It was actually my great-grandmother’s from a long time ago, so it’s solid wood. I didn’t even have to refinish or repaint it because my sister already did all the work a few years back. It’s in great shape and the drawers are much more generously sized for normal adult clothing. I love the vintage hardware and it looks really good with Mike’s white dresser.


At first I wasn’t sure how the room would look with yet another mirror in the corner, but the large mirror that sits on top of the dresser actually makes the whole room seem bigger. It reflects light back from the windows and brightens up a dark corner. It does feel a little vain… Mirror, Mirror on the wall...but everything looks better with it there, so we’re keeping it.


Still on the to-do list is pictures… remove the old nails, touch up where the picture frames chipped the paint, maybe put up one or two by the door. I also want to style the dresser a little more too. Maybe revisit the old shelf idea I had a couple of years ago. Then I need to move onto the office, where the old brown dresser currently sits empty. I don’t want to get rid of it since it’s perfect for kid’s clothes, like when Oliver is older, but for now we have to figure out how to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment