Feb 29, 2024

Reflections on Wintering


I know I've said this before, but I've never been a winter person. It's always been something to get through while we wait for spring. I don't like the cold, I don't like the dark, I don't like the days filled with gray. I'm not a winter sports person. Germ season still hits us hard and it's brutal (3 hospital visits this season).  January was long ago declared my nemesis month, even before kids. Mike has always said February feels endless (and today is leap day!). And now we still have March to tackle, in a state where we have far more late season snow storms than glimpses of early spring. 

A positive interaction with social media and the Evil Algorithm (that mostly leads to doom scrolling), introduced me to a couple of content creators with a series on "how to make friends with winter" and the concept of wintering. Color me intrigued. We've been following the more obvious advice for a few years now, like getting outside every day during daylight hours for a walk. And I already try to embrace hygge and do winter cozy. But there were additional ideas like building in extra rest during the winter without guilt, because we are meant to get extra rest just like the world outside and have family time together. Why we are drawn to fire. How to stay warmer on walks (the secret is wearing at least 2 pairs of pants!). 


I made a list of all the things I liked about winter. The occasional flowering plant or bulb from Trader Joe's for the table feels like such a luxury. Houseplants and plants in the greenhouse really shine when everything is gray. Having later sunrises means I'm awake to see them. Now that the kids are older, I feel safer lighting real candles again in various candle holders. I love being under a cozy blanket. Eucalyptus hanging in the shower. Fires in fire pit with magic fire in the backyard. Keeping the colorful holiday lights on the back deck railing ALL WINTER LONG. Paper stars on the back door. Drinking more hot tea in oversized mugs. Winter evenings are the ideal time to do yarn projects (I like to crochet). The hush when snow is falling. Bright sunshine on a walk. Finding new, bigger hills to sled on when there is a snow storm. 








I think it's made this winter season a lot more pleasant and easier to get through. I'm not quite friends with winter yet, but maybe someday we will be? As the signs of spring are starting to emerge and I'm counting down the weeks now to spring and seed starting, I know we are getting close. The sun is stronger and melting the ice, the feeling of hope and light are returning full force. 

No comments:

Post a Comment